- Tall Guns has been awarded the right to use the By Colorado logo by the byColorado licensing program. This signifies companies that are based, design their products and make their products in Colorado. (10/2014)
- Colorado West Firearms Institute has joined the Tall Guns network Affiliated Independent Instructors licensing our Colorado Handgun Permit course program serving Colorado West from the Grand Junction area. (10/2014).
- Tall Guns announces a price reduction in its combined Colorado and Utah CCW/CFP Course. The new price is $99.95 for both highly valuable permit course. (08/2014)
- Tall Guns now offers certification training for security officers in firearm, baton, handcuff, Taser and OC Spray. (05/2014)
- Tall Guns is actively instructing courses at this time (June 2020).
- To support the ongoing efforts to control COVID-19, Tall Guns will be limiting class sizes to eight (8) persons. (16 Mar 2020).
- Tall Guns is certified as the only TASER certified civilian training academy location in Colorado (10/2012)
NRA Personal Protection in the Home (PPITH)
The NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family, and to provide information on the law-abiding individual's right to self-defense.
This is an eight-hour course. Students should expect to shoot approximately 100 rounds of ammunition.
Students will learn:
- basic defensive shooting skills,
- strategies for home safety and responding to a violent confrontation, firearms and the law, how to choose a handgun for self-defense,
- and continued opportunities for skill development.
Students will receive the:
- NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection In The Home handbook,
- NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure,
- the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet,
- course completion certificate.
The NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course participants must be law abiding, adults (at least 21 years old), and experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm) to maximize what can be learned from this course.
Proof of shooting experience can be one of the following: NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate, NRA FIRST Steps Course Certificate, NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card, military DD 214 with pistol qualification, or passing the Pre-Course Assessment.
The scheduled class is taught at our Loveland, Colorado facility and live fire is held at an indoor shooting range.
Lesson Plan (print 10-06).